Sunday 22 November 2015

GUEST POST: Confessions of my Past, Present and Future #19 - Angela Marsons



Confessions of my Past, Present and Future

by

Angela Marsons


The Past


The only book that ever caused me to call in sick to work was Disclosure by Michael Crichton.

As the mastermind behind Jurassic Park, a genre I don’t read, I was intrigued by the author’s premise of turning the idea of sexual harassment in the workplace on its head. My curiosity lasted for only a minute before I was picked up and swept away. The novel is expertly written and beautifully crafted so that questions that you desperately want answered, are only answered once more questions have been asked, that you then have to have answered before you can put the book down.

This theme continues throughout the book making it completely unputdownable. I read this in my twenties so although I was writing at the time I was not submitting. At a later date I re-read the book again, with my analytical brain, to better understand the techniques the author had used to grab and hold my attention so thoroughly that it was like he had put invisible superglue to the book cover. After reading it I knew that I wanted to be able to do that. I wanted to write books that posed and answered questions in the same way.





The Present


The book that has stuck with me recently is The Stolen Girl by Renita D’Silva. It is a beautiful and thought-provoking story of friendship and love. The story moves back and forth between the past and present telling the story of ‘two mothers’ to thirteen year old Diya.

The relationship between Vani and Aarti is sad and spellbinding and eventually uplifting.

The story begins when Vani is arrested, accused of abducting Diya as a baby.

The book is written from the viewpoint of all three main characters and each one of them manages to get under your skin. Eventually, as the story deliciously unfolds you get to understand the relationship between the two women better and you feel for both of them.

It is a book that has been written with a lot of thought, work, care and love. From the very first page I felt like the story was drawing me in for a warm hug and I just knew I was going to enjoy every word. Renita writes beautifully and she took me on a journey that I didn’t want to end.

I was so blown away by it that I have deliberately saved her new book A Sisters Promise to be read as a reward to myself for meeting my own deadline. I knew that the prospect of reading this book would ensure I got my work in on time.





The Future


If you had asked me that question a couple of years ago the answer would have been that I wanted to write crime. Historically I wrote relationship based books and aspired to write a crime book. Having convinced myself that I couldn’t do it, in typical Kim Stone fashion I then felt obliged to have a go. I am now totally addicted to writing crime as I realise it suits my writing style. I have always struggled with the descriptive element of the writing process and much prefer to write dialogue. The genre I write suits the style and rhythm of my work.

I am contracted to write eight Kim Stone books in total so I may still be working on those in 2045.

If I considered writing something completely outside of my comfort zone it would have to be horror. It is so far removed from what I read, watch and enjoy that it would be the most challenging genre for me to attempt.




Angela Marsons is the author of the D.I. Kim Stone series of books. I cannot emphasise enough just how good these books are. You can read my reviews of her series here:





If you would like to help support Confessions of a Reviewer then please consider using the links below to buy any of Angela's books or indeed any of the books mentioned in this feature. This not only supports me but also lets me know how many people actually like to buy books after reading my reviews. 

Thanks.




Angela Marsons is the author of Amazon #1 Bestseller SILENT SCREAM.

She lives in the Black Country with her partner, their bouncy Labrador and a swearing parrot.

She first discovered her love of writing at Junior School when actual lessons came second to watching other people and quietly making up her own stories about them. Her report card invariably read "Angela would do well if she minded her own business as well as she minds other people's".

After years of writing relationship based stories (My Name Is and The Middle Child) Angela turned to Crime, fictionally speaking of course, and developed a character that refused to go away.

She is signed to Bookouture.com in an 8 book deal.

And for more about Angela, visit her site or find her on social media:

Website - Facebook - Twitter - Goodreads - Amazon Page

No comments:

Post a Comment