Sunday 2 October 2016

GUEST POST: Confessions of my Past, Present and Future #48 - Somer Canon



Confessions of my Past, Present and Future

by

Somer Canon


The Past


Most of my childhood books were old, tattered hand-me-downs given to me by my grandma. One of those books was the first book to really ignite the horror fiend within me. It wasn’t necessarily the story itself that scared me.  Even as a Kindergartner I was a hardened horror fan thanks to never being denied the opportunity to watch some great horror movies on television.

No, with The Night the Scarecrow Walked by Natalie Savage Carlson and Charles Robinson, it was the black, scratchy illustrations within, giving the book a moodiness that wouldn’t have been there otherwise.

When I was learning to read, I was able to dig up some gems in my small school’s library. The checkout cards to the Crestwood House Monster Series books were filled with only my name. The book about shark attacks mesmerized me as well, not only because of the photos of the survivors but also because of this incredible drawing of a shark chewing through an anti-shark net, shredding its gums to bloody ribbons.

My grandma bought me The Sins of Rachel Ellis by Philip Caveney when I was in the third grade. It was provocative, atmospheric, and completely weird and I was hooked. I discovered F. Paul Wilson and Stephen King not much later and it was then that I knew that writing horror was my dream.





The Present


I read in many genres. I love biographies, urban fantasy, and fantasy, but horror is like my old comfortable couch with the butt dents permanently squished into the cushions. It has its problems and people think that I should throw it out, but I love it and at the end of the day, it’s my favorite place to be.

There are some amazing horror writers lurking about today.  I haven’t read anything by Jonathan Janz that hasn’t left me stunned and Matt Serafini has written my favorite werewolf book of all time. Sephera Giron is the supreme deity of erotic horror and Glenn Rolfe has one of my favorite voices today. Writers are pushing boundaries and creating fresh stories while others are revisiting classics and making them new. It’s a great time to be a fan of horror fiction. There’s amazing talent out there and these folks really know how to get a reader’s pulse racing.

As a newly published author, it is my sincerest hope that I can earn even the smallest place among these mythically talented creatures that we call horror writers. That I can call some of them my contemporaries and peers pleases me down to my marrow. Although I try to stifle it, I’m positively aglow with the giddiness of a fan allowed a peak into the VIP room.





The Future


Hopefully by 2045 I haven’t faded into permanent obscurity. It would be so great if I have a catalogue of works published and a small but rabid fan base salivating over my latest release.

I’d love to see a real renaissance for the horror genre. The paperback has made a comeback and teenagers can be found comparing tattered tomes, having contests over whose book has been reread the most. Bronze likenesses of Stephen King and Dean R. Koontz hold court in shopping malls and all small children dress up as monsters and corpses on Halloween as opposed to princesses and superheroes. Horror shows don’t get cancelled after the third season and every year there’s a heated campaign to win the John Carpenter Horror Soundtrack Award.

Man, that sounds awesome.  I hope it happens.

Thank you for having me on your blog, Nev! This was great!




You can buy Vicki Beautiful here:




If you would like to help support Confessions of a Reviewer, then please consider using the links below to buy any of the books mentioned in this feature. This not only supports me but also lets me know how many people actually like to buy books after reading my reviews.

Thanks.




Somer Canon is a minivan revving suburban mother who avoids her neighbors for fear of being found out as a weirdo.  When she’s not peering out of her windows, she’s consuming books, movies, and video games that sate her need for blood, gore, and things that disturb her mother.

Vicki Beautiful is her debut novella.









And for more about Somer, visit her site or find her on social media:


No comments:

Post a Comment